This recipe is so simple, but you'll need a mold to create the cashew-agar base to hold the piped tofu mousse. I used a ceramic deviled egg holder that I had in cabinet, but it was a little shallow. I'm going to look on line and see if I can find a deeper base, but other than that they were absolutely perfect...beautiful and delicious.
This recipe makes about 36 portions so you will need more than one mold because the agar will solidify if you don't work quickly. Or you can cut the tofu mouse recipe in half and pipe less.
Cashew Cream-Agar Egg Base:
1/2 cup cashew cream, (1/2 cup cashews blended in a high speed blender with 1-1/4 cup water. If you don't have a high-speed blender then you will need to soak the cashews for about 4 hours and then strain through cheesecloth or a fine strainer. You will not use all the cashew cream but it will keep in the refrigerator covered for up to five days.)
3/4 warm water
1 tsp Agar-Agar powder (I purchased my powder at an Asian market, for $2.99, but Whole Foods carries the agar flakes, but it will cost you about $9.00. Also, if you use the flakes then you'll need to increase the amount to 1 Tbsp and boil it a little longer.
1/4-1/2 tsp Black Salt (found in an Indian or Asian market--it's actually pink and very salty.)
- Lightly oil mold with vegetable oil and set aside.
- Blend cashews with water and measure out a 1/2 cup of cashew cream. Whisk in black salt and set aside.
- Pour 3/4 cup water into a measuring cup and warm in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Whisk in agar-agar powder and then place back in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and let it boil.
- Place cashew cream into microwave for 30-40 seconds to warm and then whisk mixture into hot agar water making sure there are no lumps.
- Skim off any bubbles off the top before pouring into mold, or pop bubbles with a toothpick.
- Let mold sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before moving and placing in the refrigerator to chill for about one hour to harden completely.
Once hardened, using a small pairing knife, remove cashew-agar base and place on a plate. Then using a small melon baller or spoon, scoop out a small portion of the base without breaking through the bottom. Then pipe in the tofu mousse and chill for about an hour before serving. Also, the agar will not melt or soften if these are left out for a little while at room temperature, but they are better served chilled. So if you are serving a lot of people, I would serve a dozen at a time and keep the others chilled.
(You can cut the recipe in half if you are making less portions)
7.5 oz organic sprouted extra firm tofu (I used Wildwood--it comes it two sealed pouches, 7.5 oz each).
1/4 cup Follow Your Heart original organic Vegenaise
2 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 - 3/4 tsp black salt
1 tsp apple cider, or white wine vinegar
- Drain tofu and press dry with paper towels and place in a food processor.
- Add all ingredients except for black salt and blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to add a little more Vegenaise to get the right texture.
- Add black salt to taste and then pipe or spoon mousse into base.
- Garnish with paprika and chives and chill for about one hour before serving.