Chinese Five Spice
4 star anise
2 dried red chili's stems removed and seeded
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1 2 inch cinnamon stick broken into pieces
Toast spices in a dry pan and grind into a fine powder in a spice grinder.
Five Spice Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
2 tsp dark toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice seasoning
1 tsp grated ginger
8 oz diced extra firm or baked tofu
1 1/2 Bhutanese long grain red rice
3 cups water
1 red bell pepper finely diced
1/2 cup diced mango
1/2 cup pickled golden beets (optional)
3 cups chopped kale or other leafy green
1/4 cup minced cilantro
2 green onions sliced on a bias
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil, add 1/4 tsp salt, add rice, stir, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes, fluff with a fork.
- Whisk all marinade ingredients in a bowl, add diced tofu and set aside for 30 minutes or until rice is finished cooking.
- Prep all other ingredients and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add tofu along with marinade and bring to a simmer. Add kale and saute until just wilted.
- Add rice to a large bowl, add in all ingredients, as well as tofu, kale and marinade.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.