1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 organic green pepper, diced small
1 cup organic celery, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp Cajun seasoning (more or less to taste)
1 14 oz can tomato puree
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
10 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1/2 cup black-eyed peas
1 cup farro or hulled barley
4 cups organic chopped kale or collard greens, stems removed, washed
1/2 cup cut blanched green beans or okra, optional
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Louisiana Hot Sauce, optional
- Using a dutch oven or stock pot, add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook for about five minutes until onions are soft.
- Add Cajun seasoning, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add black-eyed peas and reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Bring soup back up to a boil and stir in farro, green pepper, celery, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30 minutes until farro and black-eyed peas are tender.
- Just before serving, add chopped kale and green beans/okra, if using and heat through for about 3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Remove bay leaf before serving and serve with Louisiana Hot Sauce.