Even though that this is SO MUCH HEALTHIER (and just as delicious), I still eat sweets in moderation. Sugar is sugar is sugar, but at least I know that this is made with whole grains, has no cholesterol, almost zero saturated fat and uses fresh seasonal fruit!
1 2/3 cups whole grain spelt flour
1/3 cup cornmeal, finely ground
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (slightly melted)
4 tsp Ener-g Egg Replacer (found in health food stores)
1/3 cup filtered water
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
Note: I use whole grain or whole wheat flours in my baking because they have more nutrients and protein than regular all purpose flour, especially spelt. However, using whole wheat products produces a darker grain, which I happen to prefer. If you want your pound cake to be a little lighter in color then switch to a white spelt flour instead.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a standard loaf pan with canola spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine maple syrup, melted butter, vanilla extract, almond milk and lemon zest and blend with a hand mixer.
- In a small bowl, whisk Ener-g Egg Replacer with the filtered water and add to the liquid ingredients and combine.
- Using a spatula or hand held mixer on low add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake on the middle rack for about 30-35 minutes. Check for doneness at 25-30 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and let sit on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
1 pound Organic Strawberries, rinsed and quartered (save several of the them for garnish)
1/4 cup Agave syrup
1 tbsp red wine
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan, bring up to a boil, reduce heat and cook on low for about 5 minutes until strawberries are soft.
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer and chill in the refrigerator.