1 lb organic extra firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess liquid
1/2 cup small diced organic celery
1/3 cup sliced Spanish Manzanilla Olives with Pimentos
1/3 - 1/2 cup Vegenaise, depending on consistency
1 1/2 tsp Black salt (found at Indian Grocers, really rose in color, not black)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp kosher salt (more or less to taste--be careful because the black salt is salty)
1/2 tsp black pepper
Organic leafy green lettuce leaves
100% whole wheat bread
Note: My Mom added cream cheese along with mayonnaise. I don't like the flavor or texture of vegan cream cheese and so I omitted it and added more Vegenaise.
- Drain tofu and press between two sheet pans for about an hour to remove excess liquid. Crumble tofu in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together Vegenaise, black salt, turmeric, Dijon and black pepper.
- Add Vegenaise mixture to tofu, along with diced celery and olives and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour for flavors to combine.
- Serve either on a bed of lettuce with tomatoes or on whole wheat bread.