1 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
3-4 organic Roma tomatoes, blanched, skins removed, grated
1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups lite coconut milk (see recipe below)
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 clove minced garlic
1-2 tbsp Madras curry powder (depending on taste)
1-2 tbsp agave syrup
2-3 tbsp lite tamari sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos
2-3 cups organic baby spinach
Juice of 1 lime, divided
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes. Add the juice of 1/2 lime and 1 tbsp minced cilantro. Fluff with a fork, keep warm and set aside.
- Cook lentils in plenty of water for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, add tomato puree, garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in curry powder, tamari, agave and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes for flavors to combine.
- Add coconut milk, lentils and spinach and heat through until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper if necessary and add the remaining lime juice.
- Spoon lentil curry mixture over rice and garnish with minced cilantro and dried coconut flakes.
1 cup organic naturally dried unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups hot filtered water
- Place coconut flakes in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for 30 minutes for coconut to soften.
- Add coconut mixture to a blender and blend on high until creamy.
- Strain milk through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups lite coconut milk.