Roasted Tomato Salsa
6-8 Roma tomatoes, roasted (see link)
3-4 Roma tomatoes, blanched, skins removed and grated
1 Jalapeno, roasted, skin and seeds removed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 Jalapeno, seeds removed and finely minced (about 2 tbsp)
3 tbsp finely minced onion
1-2 tbsp minced cilantro
Juice of 1-2 limes (depending on size)
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, slice tomatoes, toss in a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast for 1 hour until caramelized. Remove from oven, let cool and remove skins.
- During this time add the jalapeno and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and remove skin and seeds.
- Place roasted tomatoes and jalapeno in a food processor and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl.
- Blanch remaining tomatoes for 1 minute, remove skins and grate on a box grater and add to roasted tomatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste and chill until ready to use.
I used 2 cups of masa and 1-1/3 cups of water. You don't need a tortilla press--just a rolling pin and two sheets of plastic wrap coated with masa flour. I also prefer smaller tortillas and so I used a small ice cream scoop to portion the masa. The most important tip is to keep the masa covered with plastic while rolling out the tortillas. Also, as you remove the cooked tortillas from the grill pan, wrap them in a kitchen towel to keep warm until all tortillas are done.
Also, no oil is needed in the pan. Just make sure that you use a cast iron skillet or griddle because you need to cook them on medium-high heat and the more charred the better! Cook them for about 1 minute per side and then wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm. Enjoy!