Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus:
2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid), patted dry with a paper towel
1 red bell pepper, roasted, skin removed
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
2-3 tbsp tahini sauce/paste
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp, or more or less to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp bean cooking liquid if needed to thin hummus
- Soak 3/4 cup chickpeas overnight, drain and cook in fresh filtered water until tender. Let cool in liquid and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat broiler to 500 degrees and roast bell pepper until charred, turning frequently for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove skin and seeks and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add chickpeas, bell pepper, garlic clove, spices, tahini and lemon to a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If too thick add additional bean cooking liquid 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and additional lemon juice if needed.
- You can also add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for additional flavor but I decided not to add it.