Going out to dinner in the South Bay is a bit of a drag when you're vegan. Unless you want to eat greasy fried Asian food, falafels, or vegan pizza, your options are really limited. I wish we had better restaurant options here. The next time I have family visit, I'm going to cook at home instead of going out to dinner. At least I know that my food is healthier and definitely a lot better tasting, and my kitchen has a lot more options to choose from!
2 cups finely ground bread crumbs, or panko
1 tbsp finely minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tbsp canola oil
1-2 packages Gardein Chick'n Scallopini Fillets
Note: Depending on how large your sandwich rolls are, you may need to purchase two packages of the Gardein. Each sandwich uses about 1-1/2 fillets each.
- Remove scallopini from freezer and defrost in microwave until softened. Cover with plastic wrap and press lightly with the palm of your hand to increase size a little bit or roll lightly with a rolling pin.
- Mix bread crumbs with herbs and spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Working one fillet at a time, brush lightly with vegetable stock on both sides and dip in bread crumbs and press lightly to adhere. Set on a baking sheet until all pieces are coated.
- Heat a saute pan on medium heat, add canola oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 4 minutes each side. Set aside.
1 recipe Caesar Salad Dressing
1 head organic romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, chopped, washed and dried
2 large tomatoes, sliced
4 sandwich rolls of choice
- Prepare Caesar salad dressing and set aside.
- Prepare herb-crusted fillets and set aside.
- Chop lettuce and toss lightly with Caesar dressing, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast sandwich rolls and smear both sides with a little dressing. Slice fillets in half or in strips and place on bottom half. Top with dressed lettuce and sliced tomato.
- I served mine with a side salad of baby spinach, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette. Delicious!