Now, you don't need a Vita-Mix to make this recipe, any blender will do. But I finally broke down and purchased a Vita-Mix two weeks ago. I've wanted one for years, but couldn't justify the huge price tag. I still have a hard spending so much for a blender, but I use it everyday to make my own almond milk, green smoothies, sauces, and I made a strawberry-lime sorbet in 2 minutes. That's pretty amazing that a blender can do that! Anyway, I'm really happy with it so far and I know that I'll get a lot of use out of for many years to come.
Pumpkin Chai Spice Ingredients:
(Serves 1 or 2)
1/2 cup almond milk (look for low sugar brand or make your own)
1 cup cashew milk (see recipe below)
1 black tea bag, steeped for 15 minutes
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, steeped
1/2 tsp ground ginger, steeped
1/4 tsp ground cardamon, steeped
1/4 tsp ground cloves, steeped
3 tbsp organic 100% pure pumpkin puree
1 tbsp agave syrup, or more depending on taste
1/8 tsp kosher salt
2 cups ice
- In a small sauce pan, heat almond milk to scalding, remove from heat, add tea bag and spices, cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain mixture into blender, pressing with a spoon so that most of the spices go into the blender.
- Add cashew milk, pumpkin puree, agave syrup, salt and ice and blend on high until smooth.
- Garnish with sifted cinnamon, and cashew cream (optional) see below.
1 cup cashews, soaked for four hours or overnight
6 pitted dates
3 cups filtered water
Note: You will have cashew milk left over. You can use it for breakfast in place of almond, soy or rice milk. I used less water in this recipe to give the frapp a creamier texture. If you want to use the cashew milk for other recipes, you can add water to thin it out a bit.
- Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If using a high-speed blender you don't have to strain the milk. If using a regular blender, strain the mixture to remove solids.
1/2 cup cashews, soaked for four hours
3/4- 1 cup cashew milk
2 tbsp agave syrup
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before using to thicken further.