I tried making this with agave and maple syrup to make it healthier, but it just doesn't have the same flavor as using sugar and brown sugar. I also used whole wheat pastry crust for the topping, but I still prefer using unbleached white flour. It's a good thing that Thanksgiving is celebrated only once a year--so enjoy it--just don't go back for seconds!
6 large organic Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup unfiltered sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup apple cider or sparkling apple cider
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice apples about 1/4" thick (about 12 slices per apple).
- Place in a small bowl and toss with sugar, brown sugar and spices.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to macerate and then add dried cranberries.
- Place in a large casserole dish and set aside.
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup raw almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unfiltered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, melted and slightly cooled
- Toast almonds in the oven for about 5 minutes until lightly golden brown. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Let cool and coarsely chop.
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove over low heat until just melted and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add all ingredients (except for butter) and toss well to combine.
- Using a fork, gradually stir in butter until crumbly, breaking up large pieces. You may or may not use all of the butter. You want the flour to be well-coated.
- Add topping evenly over apples and bake in the oven until bubbly and golden brown. Depending on your oven, bake 50-70 minutes, turning every 20 minutes. You may need to cover the casserole dish with foil to prevent the top from browning too much. If using small ramekins, fill them 3/4 full (about 1 cup), add 1 tbsp apple cider and top with 1/3 cup of topping and bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve with your favorite non-dairy ice cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.