I love chowders and they are so easy to make. Besides making this Roasted Corn & Potato Chowder, I also like to make Curried Cauliflower & Potato, as well as Slow Roasted Tomato and Potato Chowder. But since corn is in season, roasted corn chowder it is!
3 large ears white or yellow corn on the cob, roasted
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced small
1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, diced small
1 cup celery, diced small
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
2 tbsp flour
4 cups unsweetened/plain rice milk or other non-dairy milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp Vegan worcestershire sauce
Several dashes of Tabasco sauce (optional)
2 tbsp pale dry sherry
1/2-1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Crusty bread for dipping
- Preheat broiler to 475. Shuck corn, remove silk and roast on a sheet pan until lightly charred and golden on all sides. Let corn cool and remove kernels with a knife. Set aside.
- Dice all vegetables and mince garlic and thyme.
- In a stock pot or large sauce pan, add canola oil and saute onions and celery for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat until soft.
- Add garlic, thyme and Old Bay Seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add butter and stir until melted and then add the flour and stir to combine.
- Next add vegetable stock and rice or non-dairy milk and bring up to a boil, reduce heat to medium and add diced potatoes, roasted corn, worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
- Cook on medium until potatoes are soft and flavors are combined, about 20-30 minutes.
- During the last five minutes of cooking, add pale dry sherry and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with parsley and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve with warm crusty bread rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil.